Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘Monday Memos’ we have a book review of the first book in a new series called ‘Songs About a Girl’ by Chris Russell. This book was provided for review by Flatiron Books (a division of Macmillan Publishers), and was released on July 28th, 2016. Just so y’all know this will be a spoiler-free review so let’s get to the fun part of this blog, the book! Ready? Ok, let’s go!!!
This is a story about a 15 year old girl named Charlie who is given the opportunity to photograph the biggest pop band in the world Fire&Lights. Although Charlie is a quiet, shy girl, she is quickly is pushed into the spotlight after a photo of her with one of the guys from the band is leaked. At 1st Charlie decides to distances herself from the band, but when she finds a connection between their new lead single and poetry in her deceased mother’s old journal she can’t ignore investigating a possible connection. The harder Charlie looks for answers about her own past, the more she experiences the dark side of fame and fandom.
I’m going to start off by saying that the premise of this book was super interesting. We live in a time where reality & gossip shows allow us to feel closer to our favorite stars than even before. Also, with the addition of social media we’re able to join fandoms & feel a community around our admiration. Although ‘Songs About a Girl’ is marketed (rightfully so) as a One Direction fan-fiction, it really does speak to the current celebrity-centric culture we all live in. Although this isn’t a new topic, I really liked the way Chris Russell showed his love for fandoms in this story, but also showed the consequences of what can happen when they cross the line. I also really liked the characters he created. Charlie is a relatable protagonist, her bff Melissa is the fangirl in us all, the guys in the band are interesting and fun to read about, even the “villains” & more minor characters serve their roles well. The problem however, lies in how all of this comes together. In the end this story is a One Direction fan-fiction at its core which can either be a good thing or a not do good thing. If you really like romance & One Direction then you’ll probably love this book, but only if you really really love both of those things. Personally I’m a fan of both but this story just didn’t click with me. The whole time I kept getting distracted by who inspired which character and it took me out of the story too much. The big twist was very predictable (and I’m horrible at predicting this stuff so that tells you a lot), and the love triangle was solved to quickly (I know, I know, a lot of us have asked for this but a little more tension is always nice). Also, the mystery surrounding Charlie’s mom felt unnecessary & ultimately seemed like it could potential get in the way of the romance between her & the guy she chooses at the end of the book. I feel like this book serves a very niche market which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but because of this forces me to give it 2 smiley faces. This is definitely a quick, light summer read that you can try out if it sounds interesting, but because it doesn’t have a very vast market appeal I can’t recommend it for everyone. However if you do read it & love it, then book 2 is already out, and book 3 will be released later this year!
Keep up with everything Chris is doing here:
Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘YouTube Wednesday’, we are going to discuss a rising boy band that you will all fangirl and fanboy over! If you love bands such as: ‘One Direction’, ‘5 Seconds of Summer’, and ‘The Vamps’, then you’ll love ‘The Boy Band Project’! This group of young vocalists has everything I takes to become a successful group: talent, drive, and the unwavering love of their fans. Once I saw their videos, I as instantly addicted, and have been watching all of their INCREDIBLE covers on repeat (and you will too once you see them). If you’re not already a fan of this rising band, then you HAVE to check out the rest of this blog post, so when you’re friends all become obsessed with ‘The Boy Band Project’ (and trust me they will) then you will already know all about everyone’s latest YouTube obsession.
The first cover that we are going to discuss is their cover of ‘Give Me Love’ by Ed Sheeran, which was uploaded on July 24th, 2014 (here’s a link to the video ). I thought that this was an AMAZING first cover for the band, because it’s a song that really gives them an opportunity to show off their vocal skills. This is a difficult song for anyone to sing, because Ed Sheeran is an amazing vocalist who sets a very high bar with this song. I was really happy to see that ‘The Boy Band Project’ was able to rise to the challenge, and make a really awesome cover. This is one of my favorite Ed Sheeran songs, so I’ve heard A LOT of covers of this song, and honestly none of them were as good as this cover. I was so impressed and y’all will be too. Next up we have the band’s cover of ‘I’ll Never Break Your Heart’ by the Backstreet Boys, which was uploaded on September 11th, 2014 (link to the video is here: ). I was really excited to hear this cover because I am a huge ‘Backstreet Boys’ fan (you know you are too!). This is another difficult song to sing (gotta love a band that isn’t afraid of a challenge), and they decided to make it every more challenging by singing the song A Capella. Honestly singing is heard enough because everyone has to make sure their harmonies are as close to perfect as possible, and of one person is slightly off then the whole group sounds bad, then when you add the difficulty of having your pure vocals in the spotlight, without any music to help or mask imperfections…well you can see where how this could be difficult. However, the band proves that it really can handle any song and circumstance, by doing an AMAZING cover of this song that I’ve listened to over and over again (it’s just so incredible!).This is definitely the perfect video to prove to everyone that this band is a group of legitimately talented vocalists, and not just a band of pretty faces (even though they have that going for them too). Ok the final cover that we are going to talk about is the band’s rendition of One Direction’s song ‘Steal My Girl’, which was uploaded November 28th, 2014 ( the video link is here ). This was a really cool cover because it felt more like a music video than a regular cover. You saw clips of the band recording, performing, and having fun with the camera. It was really fun to see the guys’ personalities shine through, and makes you fall even more in love with them. You also got to see that their fans love them, and that they definitely share the love right back!
Hello people of the internet!!! Today, we will talk about the heart shaped elephant in the room…Valentine’s Day (cue suspenseful music). Maybe you’re single this Valentine’s Day and are bitter about it…or maybe you’re single and don’t care, either way this is the blog for you! So grab some popcorn, turn up those Taylor Swift songs, and chill out with the ‘Top ten reasons why it’s better if you DON’T have a Valentine this year!!!’
10) You can sit around in your PJs all day and watch romantic comedies/ Nicholas Sparks movies…who wouldn’t want Ryan Gosling or Channing Tatum as their honorary boyfriend?
9) You can make your mom or dad your Valentine and then casually suggest visiting your favorite store or mall (hello presents!!!)
8) Being single on Valentine’s Day is like the first day of a New Year, calories don’t count so you can eat whatever you want without repercussions (that is the rule right!?!)
7) You can get some of your BFFs together and talk about how much guys suck while you listen to Taylor Swift songs (sing it with me…”we. are never ever getting back together…”).
6) If you’re feeling more positive, you and your BFFs can have a dance party in your room while listening to your favorite boy band (or man and for our Backstreet Boys fans).
5) You can blog/vlog!!! (C’mon all the cool kids are doing it!)
4) You can walk around the mall in a onesie( oh you know you’ve ways wanted too…o.k, guess that’s just me then…awkward…)
3) You can use your detective skills and figure out who ‘A’ is on ‘Pretty Little liars’ (c’mon you know that this is seriously the biggest mystery of our time, just don’t watch the show in the dark…trust me on that one).
2) You can paint a bullseye with a picture of a jerky person in the middle. Yes throwing darts at the face of a person may seem a little aggressive, but painting is relaxing so it evens out right?
1) You can have a Harry Potter movie marathon…now if he can survive fighting a creepy faced guy for 8 movies, you can survive flying solo on the “day of love”.
· All photos and information used in this blog belong to guysvsgurlz.com, 123rf.com, hungryandmad.com, curquedelatelier.blogspot.com, idolator.com,teleread.com, powerfm.au.com, who-is-A-tumblr.com, theaprilblake.com, navikan.tumblr.com, scissorsandspice.com, naileditnz.com, Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, Taylor Swift, Big Machine Records, Simon Cowell, Liam Tomlison, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, Nial Horan, Zayn Malik, Max Martin, Karl Johan Shellback, Syco Records, Nick Carter, AJ McLean, Brian Littrell, huffington.com, Howie Dorough, Kevin Richardson, Jive Records, Nintendo, Satoshi Tajiri, Lucy Hale, Ashley Benson, Shay Mitchell, Troian Bellisario, ABC Family, . Marlene King, Sara Shepard, Disney Channel, Dan Povenmire, J.K. Rowling, Heyday FIlms, 1492 Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, memegenberator.net, ebay.com, and all other original owners. I do not own anything in this blog. All opinions expressed in this blog are my own. I wrote this blog for entertainment purposes and no copyright infringement is intended.