Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘Monday Memos’ we are going to countdown the 5 top Christmas songs of 2014. Last year when we did this list, it had different versions of classic Christmas songs from many different decades. This year I thought that we’d do something a little different and only talk about Christmas songs from this year. This list is a really fun mix of classic and new Christmas songs that I know you all will love! So get ready to ask Santa for some ITunes cards this year, because these completely addicting songs will be on your playlists well into June.
5) Sabrina Carpenter ‘Silver Nights’:
Once I heard this song I just had to add it to the list, because it has a very chill, romantic vibe that’s perfect for listening to by the fire with that special someone (or while stalking your favorite celebrities’ twitter wishing they were that special someone…don’t worry it’ll be our little secret). I also wanted to add this song; because Sabrina Carpenter is definitely someone I would watch in 2015. With an AMAZING debut on the music scene with her EP ‘Can’t Blame A Girl For Trying’ (which has a song written by the equally AMAZING Meghan Trainor), and a lead role on Disney Channel’s newest breakout hit ‘Girl Meets World’, it’s safe to say that Sabrina is well on her way to a long career…not bad for a 15 year old (doesn’t she make you feel like you haven’t accomplished anything in life…same here).
4) Idina Menzel ‘Holly Jolly Christmas’:
I was so excited to write about the song because I think that we can all agree that Idina Menzel is AMAZING! Whether you became a fan of hers through her work in various Broadway musicals, her role on the show ‘Glee’, or her latest hit leading role in Disney’s ‘Frozen’, you gotta admit that once you hear her voice you just can’t run away. I wish that I could just talk about her entire Christmas album, but then I would have y’all here until next Christmas. So instead I decided to talk to y’all about a song that we all know but I think gets pushed to the background a little. Whether you’ve heard this song on the radio or in a movie (gotta love those old animated Christmas movies), EVERYONE has heard ‘Holly Jolly Christmas’. I honestly love how upbeat and fun this song is, because it puts you in the Christmas spirit and makes everything you do feel fun. This is definitely a classic that you should put on repeat this Christmas season!
3) Meghan Trainor ‘I’ll Be Home’:
Now here is a singer/songwriter who has made her presence known this year. With her hits ‘All About That Bass’ & ‘Lips Are Moving’, Meghan just keeps amazing us. She brings that same talent to her original song ‘I’ll Be Home’, which is soon to become a Christmas Classic. This is another feel good song for all of you romantics out there! Perfect to listen to while you’re drinking hot cocoa or your favorite hot winter drink.
2) Ariana Grande ‘Santa Tell Me’:
We don’t even really need to discuss why Ariana HAS to be on this countdown. I mean she is honestly the biggest breakout star of 2014 (which we predicted and you can see the blog post for here: Monday Memos: Artist Spotlight Ariana Grande | celindareyesblog). After numerous consecutive hits, it only makes sense that the girl with the Midius touch releases a Christmas song that we LOVE! I like that this song is romantic (because honesty who doesn’t love a little Christmas romance, but it’s about asking Santa to not let this Christmas love go to waste (sorta like a prequel to ‘Last Christmas’ by Wham!). I like that the concept is different than your typical Christmas song, and it’s a fun one to sing-along too. You should definitely add it to your winter playlists!
1) Pentatonix ‘Carol of the Bells’:
I feel like I could write 10 pages about this INCREDIBLE group and it wouldn’t be enough, so I’m going to give y’all the short version. Honestly I think all A Capella groups are amazing because how awesome and talented do you have to be in order to make performing without any instrumental backing. It’s honestly mind-blowing so because of this, I felt we had to give them the #1 spot. I am also a huge fan of this song because it’s so beautiful, but it’s also equally difficult to perform, so I feel we have to give them a lot of credit for their flawless rendition.
- All photos and information used in this blog belong to Sabrina Carpenter, Hollywood Records, Idina Menzel, Glee, Fox, Ryan Murphy, Decca Records, Johnny Marks, Meghan Trainor, Epic Records, John Alagia, Chris “Flict” Apparri, Sergio Aranda, Claudia Brant, Jon Brion, Dernst “D’Mile” Emile II, Kevin Kadish, Chris Kuffner, L.A.. Reid, Meghan Trainor, Ariana Grande, Republic Records, Savan Kotecha, IIya Salmanzadeh, Pentatonix, Mykola Leontovych, Peter J. Wilhousky, holidaystime.org, and all other original owners. I do not own anything in this blog. If any people, corporations, businesses, companies, etc, were not previously given credit for their work, they are given credit now and their previous absence was unintentional. All opinions expressed in this blog are my own. I wrote this blog for entertainment purposes and no copyright infringement is intended.