Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘Monday Memos’ we are going to talk about the 2015 Grammy Awards (btw we guessed half of the winners correctly this year, yay!). This year the award show was full of unique performances, surprises, and of course, awesome awards. It was truly a night dedicated to music, and all that it represented this past year. The show was once again hosted by rapper/actor LL Cool J, who stated at the top of the show that he wasn’t going to perform an opening monologue so that there would be more time for the music. I thought that it was a really memorable show, and will definitely have us all discussing it the rest of the year. If you missed the show, or just want to relive all the moments again, then please read on as we recap the 2015 Grammy Awards!
Here are the categories we guessed correctly this year:
*If you want to see the full list of Grammy Award winners then please go to GRAMMY.com | The Official Site of Music’s Biggest Night
Now there were a lot of awesome performances this year, but I decided to pick the top 10 must-see performances to discuss with y’all.
10) Eric Church: Eric performed his hit single ‘Give Me Back My Hometown’, which is a fun song that brings out the nostalgia in us all. As always, Eric captivated his audience and never lost their attention. The backdrop of the stage had scenes of a town in a Sepia effect, which just added an air of coolness to the number.
9) Ariana Grande: One number that was really interesting was Ariana Grande’s emotional performance of her song ‘Just a Little Bit of Your Heart’. The emotional ballad had a very intimate vibe that definitely captivated fans. The staging consisted of really dim lighting, purple stage lights, and really cool white smoke that appeared half way through the performance.
8) Pharrell Williams: Pharrell began his number with a spoken word performance of the beginning of his hit song ‘Happy’. The number then changed back to the original arrangement, and included dancers in bright colored clothing & choir robes. Towards the end of the number, the attention shifted over to the small stage in the center of the auditorium, where Hans Zimmermann was showing off his out of this world piano skills. Definitely a number we’d all be happy to see again.
7) Ed Sheeran feat. John Mayer & Questlove/Ed Sheeran & ELO: Ed performed a sweet rendition of his new single ‘Thinking Out Loud’, and was accompanied by John Mayer’s EPIC guitar playing, and Questlove (the drummer of the band The Roots, who are Jimmy Fallon’s house band) on the drums. This was such an awesome pairing that I know we all have our fingers crossed for these artists to collab again soon. After ‘Thinking Out Loud’, Ed switched over to another stage and performed ‘Mr. Blue Sky’ with British rock group, Electric Light Orchestra (aka ELO). This was another unexpected, yet really awesome collab that left us wondering who Ed will work with next (because obviously he can work with anyone and it will sound awesome).
6) Miranda Lambert: Miranda performed her song ‘Little Red Wagon’, and definitely showed that country music can rock. She was in full rock star mode, with a performance that included lots of cool smoke and explosion effects, an interesting red sun decoration in the background, and lots of flashing red lights that definitely raised the energy of the room to full blast.
5) Hosier & Anne Lennox: Hosier started the performance with their hit single ‘Take Me To Church’ & was later joined by Anne Lennox, who also performed her rendition of ‘I Put A Spell on You’ (which was originally by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins). This was another high energy performance that had the audience captivated throughout the number…what can we say, they put a spell on us!
4) Katy Perry: Katy performed a truly angelic rendition of her song ‘By The Grace of God’, complete with a beautiful white gown. The performance followed a PSA by President Barack Obama, and a speech by domestic abuse survivor Brooke Axtell (the PSA and speech were in support of a new program called #ItsOnUs, which is an initiative to end violence against women & girls). This was truly a strong way to deliver this powerful message.
3) Paul McCartney, Rihanna, & Kanye West: The legendary Beatle joined Pop star Rihanna, & Rap star Kanye West for a performance of the trio’s song ‘Four Five Seconds’. This was such an amazing number, that really brought out the true talent of all three artists, and showed the magic that can happen when artists of different genres come together to create something spectacular.
2) Sam Smith & Mary J. Blige: Sam & Mary J. Blige left the room completely speechless with their duet of Sam’s hit song ‘Stay With Me’. The two artists used their amazing vocal talents to deliver a breathtaking performance that was one of the highlights of the night. What made this performance extra cool was the old school soul flair that the artists added to the overall vibe of the show; it definitely left us hoping that they will work together again in the future.
1) Sia feat. Maddie Ziegler & Kristen Wiig: The top spot of the night has to go to Sia for her beautiful performance of her hit single Chandelier. The number took place in a destroyed, dirty room, and showed comedic actress Kristen Wiig & Dance Moms star Maddie Ziegler performing the choreography from the song’s music video together. Although Sia & Kristen were INCREDIBLE, the star of the show was definitely Maddie. Seriously, she’s 12 years old and has already performed at the Grammys, how do you possibly top that!?! With such a HUGE start to 2015, I’m excited to see what this rising star does next.
Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘YouTube Wednesday’ blog post, we are going to discuss an amazing new country singer that you ALL need to keep a close eye on. This talented young musician is an extremely talented writer, guitarist, and vocalist who is quickly on the verge of becoming country music’s next big star. Remember the name Hailey Steele everyone, because you will be hearing this name EVERYWHERE very soon! Hailey already has a very impressive resume, due to her appearances on NBC’s ‘The Voice’ (as a part of a country duo called ‘THE LINE’, she was on Team Christina) and Jay Leno’s ‘The Tonight Show’. She has also has had the honor of sharing the stage with legends such as Willie Nelson and Neil Young. She has also had the honor of being inducted into the South Dakota Country Music Hall of Fame. Hailey is currently signed with BMG Chrysalis Nashville (where she is signed to an exclusive songwriting deal, and has even co-written on fellow ‘The Voice’ alum and country music recording artist RaeLynn’s single ‘Boyfriend’) and is set to release her debut EP on November 18th, 2014. So needless to say, Hailey an artist on the rise please read on so you don’t fall behind.
Hailey uploaded her first original song on YouTube on March 4th, 2012. The song is entitled ‘Electric Blue’ (ELECTRiC BLUE – HAiLEY STEELE) and I think that it is an excellent introduction to just how talented Hailey is. I love how Hailey is instantly able to capture your attention, and leave you under her spell for the duration of the song. This ability really shows just how much of a natural star Hailey is, because not only is she singing while playing the guitar (not an easy task because you have to focus on multiple things at once), but she’s also performing the song in such a way that once the song ends, you instantly want to hear more. The next song that we have to talk about is Hailey’s performance of ‘Boyfriend’ (Hailey Steele – Boyfriend, uploaded on October 6th, 2013) by RaeLynn. I really loved hearing this version of the song, because Hailey and RaeLynn have very different tones and styles, so it is fun to hear this song performed in a fresh way. I loved that Hailey was able to really bring out the sass and attitude in this song, and she definitely makes you just wanna get up and dance. Since ‘Electric Blue’ was a more heartfelt, emotional song, I thought that ‘Boyfriend’ was a fun contrast, and it definitely proves that Hailey is a well rounded artist that can make you cry one minute and then get up and dance the next. The final song that we are going to talk about in this post is my FAVORITE song on Hailey’s YouTube channel, entitled ‘Diamonds’ (Diamonds-Hailey Steele), which she uploaded on January 12th, 2014. I really love this song because it’s fun, catchy, and has a great message that everyone can relate to (basically all of the ingredients to a perfect song in my opinion). I definitely think that this song could be a MAJOR hit, and it makes me excited to see what Hailey will release next. I really love when a songwriter is able to express exactly what they feel through a song, but still make it something that you can jam out to, and Hailey definitely accomplishes this task.
So as y’all can see, I have become a HUGE Hailey Steele fan, and I think once you hear her music, you will be too! It’s not often that an artist has a special something about them that makes you unable to turn away, and Hailey definitely has that quality. I am very excited to see where this talented artist’s career leads her, and all the AWESOME things she is going to be able to accomplish along the way. As Hailey says in her soon to be hit song ‘Diamonds’, “Diamonds take pressure, and patience, and time”. Well it is definitely this diamond’s time to shine!
Stay up to date with Hailey:
Instagram: hailey_steele on Instagram
Facebook: Hailey Steele | Facebook