Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘Monday Memos’, we are going to talk about the movie that is currently on everyone’s mind, Divergent! Although there is a tradition in Hollywood of making films inspired by popular books, this trend has become more prominent in the past few years. The current trend of shooting films inspired by popular young adult books began with the 2001 release of ‘Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone’ (this was the title that was used in the U.S and a few other countries, but the original title of the book and movie was ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone). This film was given raved reviews from critics and fans, and would soon produce a phenomenon that would result in films, books, merchandise, amusement parks, and much more! This trend has continued with films such as ‘Twilight’, ‘The Hunger Games’, and now ‘Divergent’. Now if you’re a fan of the book, then you’ve probably already seen the movie but, if you are on the fence about whether or not you should see it then please read on!
Now before we talk about the movie, I thought that y’all might want to know a little about the book. ‘Divergent’ is the first in a three book series written by Veronica Roth. She wrote ‘Divergent’ during the winter break of her senior year of college, and the movie rights were secured before she graduated. The book received great reviews, and has quickly gained a fiercely loyal group of fans. Like the books that came before it, this novel has produced a line of merchandise, and has turned the actors in the movie into instant global superstars. Now let’s start talking about the movie! Just so you know, I will not give out nay spoilers in this blog post, I’m just going to touch on how interesting it is, is it worth spending money on, so don’t worry what actually happens in the movie will remain a mystery.
First of all, let me start by saying that I haven’t read any of the books in the series, so I walked into the theater completely oblivious about what to except or whether or not I would enjoy the story. I have seen some of the projects that various members of the cast has worked on, but I was still on the fence as to whether or not this movie was really going to be super interesting. After watching the film, I only have two words to describe ‘Divergent’ …it’s AMAZING! This sci-fi thriller is filled with non-stop action, and suspense. I love that the plot of the film is interesting from beginning to end, and leaves the viewer with a deep emotional connection with the film and its’ characters. The movie definitely sends you on a roller coaster ride of emotions, and at the end leaves you anxious for the next installment (seriously can that be released tomorrow or something…please…never hurts to ask right?!?). I’ve read that the film strays from the book and cuts out/adds certain events, but I think that diehard fans of the book will still love the movie because the film is certainly strong enough to stand on its’ own. In fact, one of the films greatest strengths is the performance of the lead actress Shailene Woodley, who was able to perfectly adapt to her character’s growth throughout the film, and proved that not only is she lead actress material, but she is also an Oscar worthy actress (she is definitely going to have A LOT of gold in her future). I also really loved the rest of the cast, I feel that they all portrayed their roles honestly and really made you feel every word of dialogue. Of course, I also loved the great chemistry between Shailene and Theo James (who plays her love interest in the movie), and I hope you all get used to seeing Theo on the big screen, because I think we will be seeing a lot of him in the future. It is a known fact that Theo beat out a lot of amazing, well-established actors for his role, and all I have say is Bravo ‘Divergent’ casting directors, great job!
Like I said earlier, I DO NOT want to spoil the movie for any of y’all (because trust me it is that good, but if you’re going to invest your money (or someone else’s money) in a movie this year, ‘Divergent’ should definitely be first on your list. I would not suggest waiting and buying the movie on DVD or renting it, because I think that the special effects can really only be fully experienced on the big screen (with very unhealthy yet delicious snacks, but that’s a topic for another blog). Anyway, to sum everything up…‘Divergent’ is a film for the young, the old, the sci-fi crazed, those who claim to hate sci-fi, fans of the book, and anyone who just “accidentally” goes into the theater. This is a good family film, date film, or event a good to take your grandma too if you’re trying to spend quality time (or if your just looking for a reason to put off that math homework). I definitely give ‘Divergent’ 5 smiley faces (I would give it stars but smiley faces are cooler).
Hello people of the internet!!! Today, we will talk about the heart shaped elephant in the room…Valentine’s Day (cue suspenseful music). Maybe you’re single this Valentine’s Day and are bitter about it…or maybe you’re single and don’t care, either way this is the blog for you! So grab some popcorn, turn up those Taylor Swift songs, and chill out with the ‘Top ten reasons why it’s better if you DON’T have a Valentine this year!!!’
10) You can sit around in your PJs all day and watch romantic comedies/ Nicholas Sparks movies…who wouldn’t want Ryan Gosling or Channing Tatum as their honorary boyfriend?
9) You can make your mom or dad your Valentine and then casually suggest visiting your favorite store or mall (hello presents!!!)
8) Being single on Valentine’s Day is like the first day of a New Year, calories don’t count so you can eat whatever you want without repercussions (that is the rule right!?!)
7) You can get some of your BFFs together and talk about how much guys suck while you listen to Taylor Swift songs (sing it with me…”we. are never ever getting back together…”).
6) If you’re feeling more positive, you and your BFFs can have a dance party in your room while listening to your favorite boy band (or man and for our Backstreet Boys fans).
5) You can blog/vlog!!! (C’mon all the cool kids are doing it!)
4) You can walk around the mall in a onesie( oh you know you’ve ways wanted too…o.k, guess that’s just me then…awkward…)
3) You can use your detective skills and figure out who ‘A’ is on ‘Pretty Little liars’ (c’mon you know that this is seriously the biggest mystery of our time, just don’t watch the show in the dark…trust me on that one).
2) You can paint a bullseye with a picture of a jerky person in the middle. Yes throwing darts at the face of a person may seem a little aggressive, but painting is relaxing so it evens out right?
1) You can have a Harry Potter movie marathon…now if he can survive fighting a creepy faced guy for 8 movies, you can survive flying solo on the “day of love”.
· All photos and information used in this blog belong to guysvsgurlz.com, 123rf.com, hungryandmad.com, curquedelatelier.blogspot.com, idolator.com,teleread.com, powerfm.au.com, who-is-A-tumblr.com, theaprilblake.com, navikan.tumblr.com, scissorsandspice.com, naileditnz.com, Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, Taylor Swift, Big Machine Records, Simon Cowell, Liam Tomlison, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, Nial Horan, Zayn Malik, Max Martin, Karl Johan Shellback, Syco Records, Nick Carter, AJ McLean, Brian Littrell, huffington.com, Howie Dorough, Kevin Richardson, Jive Records, Nintendo, Satoshi Tajiri, Lucy Hale, Ashley Benson, Shay Mitchell, Troian Bellisario, ABC Family, . Marlene King, Sara Shepard, Disney Channel, Dan Povenmire, J.K. Rowling, Heyday FIlms, 1492 Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, memegenberator.net, ebay.com, and all other original owners. I do not own anything in this blog. All opinions expressed in this blog are my own. I wrote this blog for entertainment purposes and no copyright infringement is intended.