Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘YouTube Wednesday’ we’re going to talk about a band that a lot of you may already be familiar with. If you’ve ever heard of the indie pop rock band ‘King The Kid’, then you’re already familiar with the AMAZING new band that we’re going to talk about, ‘Future Sunsets’. After ‘King The Kid’ disbanded, two of the members, David Michael Frank and Jose Mostajo, decided to evolve their sound and Future Sunsets was born. In 9 short months, Future Sunsets has already proven to have a loyal fanbase, with 7,421 subscribers, and 288,047 total channel views. So please read on to see why you will have Future Sunsets’ music stuck in your head all year long! Ready? Ok, let’s go!!!
The first video that we’re going to talk about is Future Sunsets cover of ‘Rather Be’ by Clean Bandit feat Jess Glynne, which was uploaded September 30th, 2014. I really liked their take on this song, because they kept the upbeat fun vibe that made this song so popular, but also added their own flair that makes this rendition unique. This song was a VERY strong start for Future Sunsets’ YouTube channel, and will definitely make you excited to see more from the band (you check out the video below to find out for yourself). The next video that we’re going to talk about is Future Sunsets’ cover of ‘Bailando’ by Enrique Iglesias, which was uploaded on December 31st, 2014. I thought that this was such a interesting choice for the band, and they were honestly able to pull it off very well. It’s fun to see a band you like take a chance with a song that’s a little different than what they typically do, but equally entertaining. You will definitely play this video over and over, and love it more everytime.
Next up we have Future Sunsets’ cover of ‘Iris’ by Goo Goo Dolls, which was uploaded on March 21st, 2015. This is a song that EVERYONE knows, whether you’re a fan of this genre of music or not. Because of this, there is definitely a added pressure to make an amazing cover, and the band perfectly hits this mark. They are able to not only make a rendition of this classic that is very well done and keeps your attention, but are also able to really make you feel the emotions that the lyrics convey. This cover definitely deserves 5 smiley face (because as I’ve said before, smiley faces are cooler than stars). The last video that we’re going to talk about isn’t a cover, but is a really awesome original song that you just gotta check out! Future Sunsets released the lyric video for their song ‘Without Your Love’ on December 16th, 2014 (you can check out the video below). This is a really cool song that has catchy lyrics, and upbeat vibe, and will instantly hook you as soon as you start to listen to it. It has a lot of the same elements that made fans fall in love with this band, but also show that they are constancy evolving and making their sound even better. I could definitely see them not only seamlessly integrating into mainstream music, but also stand out in such a way that will make them a cross-genre hit.
Keep up with everything Future Sunsets is doing:
YouTube: Future Sunsets
Twitter: Future Sunsets
Instagram: Future Sunsets
Tumblr: Future Sunsets
Hello people of the Internet!!! On today’s ‘YouTube Wednesday’, we are going to talk about an INCREDIBLE YouTube musician that you may or may not already be obsessed with. Trust me if you’ve never heard of Elyar Fox, then you need to continue reading this post. This 19 year old singer/songwriter from London is quickly taking over the music industry and the hearts of his fans one click at a time. Excited to hear more? Are you sure that you’re ready? Ok, then let’s go!
The first song that we’re going to talk about is Elyar’s ‘Treasure/When I Was Your Man’ by Bruno Mars video, which was uploaded on Mach 27th, 2013. I thought that this was a really cool Bruno Mars themed mash-up, which took two very different songs and perfectly matched them up. This video really showed off what a great musician Elyar’s is, and will have you hooked from the first note to the last. Next up we have his ‘Rather Be’ by Clean Bandit cover, which was uploaded on April 7th, 2014 (you can’t check out the video below). I chose to include this video because it showed Elyar performing live. In this video we really get a look into Elyar’s performance style. Although we already knew that Elyar was a talents vocalist/musician, we really get to see how he is able to take command on stage and leave his audience spellbound. This video definitely shows that his performance skills are above and beyond that of a new artist. Just imagine how amazing he’ll be in a few years?
Now we’ll look at Elyar’s rendition of ‘Somebody To You’ by The Vamps feat. Demi Lovato, which was uploaded on June 4th, 2014. It was really cool to see Elyar take on a really fun, energetic song, because we really got to see his personality shine through. This cover really shows that Elyar is able to take on a just about any type of song, and will definitely get you excited to hear more of his covers. It’s cool to see your fav YouTubers really have fun with what they do, and we can certainly see that Elyar is having a lot of fun on this video which only makes us love him even more. Finally we’ll look at Elyar’s cover of ‘See You Again’ by Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth, which was uploaded on April 19th, 2015 (you can check out the video below). This is definitely a tough song to cover because you not only have to sing the song correctly, but you also have to be able to show the deep emotions behind the lyrics. As everyone knows, this song was originally written as a tribute to ‘Fast and The Furious’ alum Paul Walker who sadly passed away in 2013. Because of this connection, this is a song that has to be sung with a lot of heartfelt emotion in order to maintain the magic of the original version. Elyar does an incredible job of capturing the emotions behind this song, and will definitely make you cry after you hear it.
Keep up with everything Elyar is doing:
Twitter: Elyar (@ElyarFox) | Twitter
Website: Elyar Fox – The official website
Instagram: Elyar Fox (@elyarfox) • Instagram
Facebook: Elyar Fox | Facebook
Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘YouTube Wednesday’ we are going to talk about an AMAZING vocalist who y’all are gonna be playing on repeat all year! If you haven’t heard of Ebony Day, then please read on and meet your fav new artist. Ebony Day is a 21 year old rising YouTube music star, who (as of February 7th, 2015) has 33,028,043 total views and 314,806 subscribers on YouTube. In 2013, she was also the first unsigned artist to be voted the MTV Artist of the Year (yeah, that’s incredibly impressive!). Ebony’s channel has a cool mix of songs from various different genres, so you’re almost guaranteed to find a cover that you love. So if y’all are ready, let’s dive into the blog post and talk more about Ebony’s covers and original music.
The first cover that we’re going to talk about, is Ebony’s rendition of ‘Whatcha Say’ by Jason Derulo, which was uploaded on December 14, 2009 (here’s the link to the video if you wanna check it out: Jason Derulo – whatcha say acoustic cover ebony day). I really like this cover because it’s a really cool, acoustic take on the original song (which is more of an upbeat song). This video is a really good introduction to Ebony’s music, because it really shows off her style as an artist. The next video that we’re going to talk about is Ebony’s version of ‘Good Life’ by One Republic, which was uploaded on October 19th, 2011 (check out the video here: Good Life – OneRepublic (Ebony Day cover) ). I like this cover because we get to see the fun side of Ebony. Most of her videos have a very chilled out acoustic vibe, so it’s fun to see a different side of Ebony in this one. Even though she does come off as a bit shy in the video, it’s fun to see an artist travel outside their comfort zone because it proves that they’re not afraid to grow as entertainers. The last cover that we’re going to talk about is Ebony’s take on ‘Rather Be’ by Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne, which was uploaded on February 12th, 2014 (here’s a link to that video: Rather Be – Clean Bandit (Ebony Day & Shaun Reynolds Cover) ). This is one of my all time favorite Ebony covers, because this video perfectly shows just how far she has grown as an artist. In this video we are able to fully see that Ebony is an entertaining performer, who has an incredibly unique and captivating voice. In this video Ebony no longer looks shy performing in front of the camera, and truly looks like a seasoned performer. This cover definitely proves that Ebony only gets better with time, and I am really looking forward to what covers she releases next.
Ok, now that we’ve talked about Ebony’s cover videos; let’s talk about her original music. She released her debut EP ‘The Beginning’, on September 29th, 2013. The EP (which you should DEFINITELY pick up in iTunes after you finishing reading this blog post) is a 4 song album which has songs all about love and heartbreak. I picks two of my favorite songs to talk to y’all about (which was hard because I love all of the songs). The first song that we’re going to discuss is called ‘Good Thing Gone Wrong’ (here’s a live acoustic version of the song EBONY DAY – Good Thing Gone Wrong – The Beginning EP (Live Acoustic Sessions) , which was uploaded to Ebony’s channel on September 13th, 2013). This is a sassy song about a relationship gone wrong, that will definitely having you thinking that maybe it’s not so bad if you’re single this Valentine’s Day. I really love a good breakup song that you can cry too (I mean who doesn’t right?), but it’s also cool whenever artists can release a fun breakup song that doesn’t have to be depressing to be good. The last song that we’re going to talk about is Ebony’s song ‘Crazy Over You’ (here’s a live acoustic version of the song EBONY DAY – Crazy Over You – The Beginning EP (Live Acoustic Sessions) , which was uploaded to Ebony’s channel on September 6th, 2013). This is definitely my FAVORITE song on the EP, because it’s so different from anything that Ebony has previously released. This song breaks away from Ebony’s usual singer/songwriter meets pop vibe, and incorporates more of a Latin music feel (sorta like an early JLo kinda vibe, think of songs like ‘If You Had My Love’). This is such a fun song that’s about what it feels like to really be into somebody (so basically the way we all fangirl over every cute celebrity…you know you do). I loved that Ebony showed that she’s not afraid to take risks with her music, and that she can actually be awesome in a variety of genres. This EP definitely made me excited to see what Ebony releases next!
Keep up with everything Ebony is doing:
Twitter: Ebony Day (@ebonyday1) | Twitter
Instagram: Ebony Day (@ebonyday1)
Facebook: Ebony Day | Facebook
Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘Monday Memos’ we are going to talk about the 2015 Grammy Awards (btw we guessed half of the winners correctly this year, yay!). This year the award show was full of unique performances, surprises, and of course, awesome awards. It was truly a night dedicated to music, and all that it represented this past year. The show was once again hosted by rapper/actor LL Cool J, who stated at the top of the show that he wasn’t going to perform an opening monologue so that there would be more time for the music. I thought that it was a really memorable show, and will definitely have us all discussing it the rest of the year. If you missed the show, or just want to relive all the moments again, then please read on as we recap the 2015 Grammy Awards!
Here are the categories we guessed correctly this year:
*If you want to see the full list of Grammy Award winners then please go to GRAMMY.com | The Official Site of Music’s Biggest Night
Now there were a lot of awesome performances this year, but I decided to pick the top 10 must-see performances to discuss with y’all.
10) Eric Church: Eric performed his hit single ‘Give Me Back My Hometown’, which is a fun song that brings out the nostalgia in us all. As always, Eric captivated his audience and never lost their attention. The backdrop of the stage had scenes of a town in a Sepia effect, which just added an air of coolness to the number.
9) Ariana Grande: One number that was really interesting was Ariana Grande’s emotional performance of her song ‘Just a Little Bit of Your Heart’. The emotional ballad had a very intimate vibe that definitely captivated fans. The staging consisted of really dim lighting, purple stage lights, and really cool white smoke that appeared half way through the performance.
8) Pharrell Williams: Pharrell began his number with a spoken word performance of the beginning of his hit song ‘Happy’. The number then changed back to the original arrangement, and included dancers in bright colored clothing & choir robes. Towards the end of the number, the attention shifted over to the small stage in the center of the auditorium, where Hans Zimmermann was showing off his out of this world piano skills. Definitely a number we’d all be happy to see again.
7) Ed Sheeran feat. John Mayer & Questlove/Ed Sheeran & ELO: Ed performed a sweet rendition of his new single ‘Thinking Out Loud’, and was accompanied by John Mayer’s EPIC guitar playing, and Questlove (the drummer of the band The Roots, who are Jimmy Fallon’s house band) on the drums. This was such an awesome pairing that I know we all have our fingers crossed for these artists to collab again soon. After ‘Thinking Out Loud’, Ed switched over to another stage and performed ‘Mr. Blue Sky’ with British rock group, Electric Light Orchestra (aka ELO). This was another unexpected, yet really awesome collab that left us wondering who Ed will work with next (because obviously he can work with anyone and it will sound awesome).
6) Miranda Lambert: Miranda performed her song ‘Little Red Wagon’, and definitely showed that country music can rock. She was in full rock star mode, with a performance that included lots of cool smoke and explosion effects, an interesting red sun decoration in the background, and lots of flashing red lights that definitely raised the energy of the room to full blast.
5) Hosier & Anne Lennox: Hosier started the performance with their hit single ‘Take Me To Church’ & was later joined by Anne Lennox, who also performed her rendition of ‘I Put A Spell on You’ (which was originally by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins). This was another high energy performance that had the audience captivated throughout the number…what can we say, they put a spell on us!
4) Katy Perry: Katy performed a truly angelic rendition of her song ‘By The Grace of God’, complete with a beautiful white gown. The performance followed a PSA by President Barack Obama, and a speech by domestic abuse survivor Brooke Axtell (the PSA and speech were in support of a new program called #ItsOnUs, which is an initiative to end violence against women & girls). This was truly a strong way to deliver this powerful message.
3) Paul McCartney, Rihanna, & Kanye West: The legendary Beatle joined Pop star Rihanna, & Rap star Kanye West for a performance of the trio’s song ‘Four Five Seconds’. This was such an amazing number, that really brought out the true talent of all three artists, and showed the magic that can happen when artists of different genres come together to create something spectacular.
2) Sam Smith & Mary J. Blige: Sam & Mary J. Blige left the room completely speechless with their duet of Sam’s hit song ‘Stay With Me’. The two artists used their amazing vocal talents to deliver a breathtaking performance that was one of the highlights of the night. What made this performance extra cool was the old school soul flair that the artists added to the overall vibe of the show; it definitely left us hoping that they will work together again in the future.
1) Sia feat. Maddie Ziegler & Kristen Wiig: The top spot of the night has to go to Sia for her beautiful performance of her hit single Chandelier. The number took place in a destroyed, dirty room, and showed comedic actress Kristen Wiig & Dance Moms star Maddie Ziegler performing the choreography from the song’s music video together. Although Sia & Kristen were INCREDIBLE, the star of the show was definitely Maddie. Seriously, she’s 12 years old and has already performed at the Grammys, how do you possibly top that!?! With such a HUGE start to 2015, I’m excited to see what this rising star does next.