Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘Monday Memos’ we are going to talk about the 2015 Grammy Awards (btw we guessed half of the winners correctly this year, yay!). This year the award show was full of unique performances, surprises, and of course, awesome awards. It was truly a night dedicated to music, and all that it represented this past year. The show was once again hosted by rapper/actor LL Cool J, who stated at the top of the show that he wasn’t going to perform an opening monologue so that there would be more time for the music. I thought that it was a really memorable show, and will definitely have us all discussing it the rest of the year. If you missed the show, or just want to relive all the moments again, then please read on as we recap the 2015 Grammy Awards!
Here are the categories we guessed correctly this year:
*If you want to see the full list of Grammy Award winners then please go to GRAMMY.com | The Official Site of Music’s Biggest Night
Now there were a lot of awesome performances this year, but I decided to pick the top 10 must-see performances to discuss with y’all.
10) Eric Church: Eric performed his hit single ‘Give Me Back My Hometown’, which is a fun song that brings out the nostalgia in us all. As always, Eric captivated his audience and never lost their attention. The backdrop of the stage had scenes of a town in a Sepia effect, which just added an air of coolness to the number.
9) Ariana Grande: One number that was really interesting was Ariana Grande’s emotional performance of her song ‘Just a Little Bit of Your Heart’. The emotional ballad had a very intimate vibe that definitely captivated fans. The staging consisted of really dim lighting, purple stage lights, and really cool white smoke that appeared half way through the performance.
8) Pharrell Williams: Pharrell began his number with a spoken word performance of the beginning of his hit song ‘Happy’. The number then changed back to the original arrangement, and included dancers in bright colored clothing & choir robes. Towards the end of the number, the attention shifted over to the small stage in the center of the auditorium, where Hans Zimmermann was showing off his out of this world piano skills. Definitely a number we’d all be happy to see again.
7) Ed Sheeran feat. John Mayer & Questlove/Ed Sheeran & ELO: Ed performed a sweet rendition of his new single ‘Thinking Out Loud’, and was accompanied by John Mayer’s EPIC guitar playing, and Questlove (the drummer of the band The Roots, who are Jimmy Fallon’s house band) on the drums. This was such an awesome pairing that I know we all have our fingers crossed for these artists to collab again soon. After ‘Thinking Out Loud’, Ed switched over to another stage and performed ‘Mr. Blue Sky’ with British rock group, Electric Light Orchestra (aka ELO). This was another unexpected, yet really awesome collab that left us wondering who Ed will work with next (because obviously he can work with anyone and it will sound awesome).
6) Miranda Lambert: Miranda performed her song ‘Little Red Wagon’, and definitely showed that country music can rock. She was in full rock star mode, with a performance that included lots of cool smoke and explosion effects, an interesting red sun decoration in the background, and lots of flashing red lights that definitely raised the energy of the room to full blast.
5) Hosier & Anne Lennox: Hosier started the performance with their hit single ‘Take Me To Church’ & was later joined by Anne Lennox, who also performed her rendition of ‘I Put A Spell on You’ (which was originally by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins). This was another high energy performance that had the audience captivated throughout the number…what can we say, they put a spell on us!
4) Katy Perry: Katy performed a truly angelic rendition of her song ‘By The Grace of God’, complete with a beautiful white gown. The performance followed a PSA by President Barack Obama, and a speech by domestic abuse survivor Brooke Axtell (the PSA and speech were in support of a new program called #ItsOnUs, which is an initiative to end violence against women & girls). This was truly a strong way to deliver this powerful message.
3) Paul McCartney, Rihanna, & Kanye West: The legendary Beatle joined Pop star Rihanna, & Rap star Kanye West for a performance of the trio’s song ‘Four Five Seconds’. This was such an amazing number, that really brought out the true talent of all three artists, and showed the magic that can happen when artists of different genres come together to create something spectacular.
2) Sam Smith & Mary J. Blige: Sam & Mary J. Blige left the room completely speechless with their duet of Sam’s hit song ‘Stay With Me’. The two artists used their amazing vocal talents to deliver a breathtaking performance that was one of the highlights of the night. What made this performance extra cool was the old school soul flair that the artists added to the overall vibe of the show; it definitely left us hoping that they will work together again in the future.
1) Sia feat. Maddie Ziegler & Kristen Wiig: The top spot of the night has to go to Sia for her beautiful performance of her hit single Chandelier. The number took place in a destroyed, dirty room, and showed comedic actress Kristen Wiig & Dance Moms star Maddie Ziegler performing the choreography from the song’s music video together. Although Sia & Kristen were INCREDIBLE, the star of the show was definitely Maddie. Seriously, she’s 12 years old and has already performed at the Grammys, how do you possibly top that!?! With such a HUGE start to 2015, I’m excited to see what this rising star does next.
Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘YouTube Wednesday’, I am so excited to introduce y’all to another AMAZING musician that is soon going to take the business by storm. This phenomenal vocalist not only has out of this world vocals, but is also a great guitarist, learn more about Rogue acoustic guitar. His old school blue eyed soul roots is certainly refreshing and unique, and I definitely think that he will soon become inescapable…and once you hear him you’ll understand why this is the best news you’ve heard in a long time. Who is this marvel you ask? I love that you asked that question! People of the internet prepare to fall under the spell of Jacob Miller.
First of all, I have to talk about how much I LOVED Jacob’s version of ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love ‘(“Crazy little thing called love” Cover) originally by Queen. It is very difficult to match the vocal talents of the late Freddie Mercury however; Jacob is able to give a spectacular rendition of the classic song with ease. Besides his great vocals on the track, Jacob also shows off his top notch guitar skills by accompanying himself on a track that’s instrumental portion is as difficult as its’ vocal portion. I definitely believe that Queen fans will be more than satisfied with this rendition (because let’s face it, few people can match the magic of Freddie Mercury’s voice, but once you listen to Jacob’s version it will quickly become one of you favorite covers of the song). The next cover that I’m going to discuss is of a track that was originally performed by another phenomenal vocalist/guitarist. Honestly in order to cover this artist’s songs you have to be extremely talented and proficient with both your vocal and guitar skills. I have to say though I was completely blown away by Jacob’s rendition of John Mayer’s classic tune ‘Heart of Life’ (John Mayer- “Heart of Life” Cover by Jacob Miller). Not only did Jacob do a phenomenal job covering the difficult vocals of this track, but once again he showed just how multitalented he is due to his uncanny guitar skills. In this cover Jacob also showed his level of artistry by adding a cool little whistle part to the track (while playing the guitar simultaneously…Doesn’t he make you feel untalented? Yeah me too!). Besides Jacob amazing vocal and guitar skills, one thing that I really loved about these covers is that they were live. This allowed the viewers to see just how talented Jacob is, and left us imagining how amazing he would sound coming out of your local radio (mind blown!). The first video that Jacob released on YouTube (of February 11, 2013) was the studio version of his original song ‘Nervous’ (Nervous – YouTube). Honestly although his cover songs are amazing, I think that this original track is my favorite song that he had released on YouTube. In ‘Nervous’, Jacob not only shows his blue eyed soul roots, but also shows that his vocal tone has a lot of underlining rock influences. I think that this song really shows just how diverse Jacob vocals are amaze me so excited for what songs he will release the future. On June 30, 2013 Jacob really is an “unplugged” (Nervous Unplugged) version of his original song nervous, which is equally as spectacular as the studio version. It truly amazes me that he is such a talented guitarist and vocalist and is able to do both of these things so well live. Many artists do not accompany themselves with instruments during a live show, because it is very difficult to sing and play at a professional level simultaneously live. Jacob is able to accomplish this difficult task with ease and thus makes me anxious to see what his career will leave him (trust me; this is not the last time you will hear of Jacob Miller).
See, didn’t I say that he is amazing! Due to his talent and hard work, Jacob has slowly been able to buildup a fanbase that will certainly help him on his road to stardom. As of April 29, 2014, he has 1,199 subscribers on YouTube, 75,800 followers on Twitter (which is where I found out about him…thanks Twitter), 5,917 ‘likes’ on Facebook, 11,000 followers on Instagram (popular guy huh!?!). Due to his incredible talent and ever growing fanbase, I see no reason as to why Jacob can’t become a huge star within the next few years. With this talented musician the question is not “if” he will become a star, but where will you be when he does. Want some free advice from me? I suggest you jump on the bandwagon now…before it gets too crowded.
Stay Connected with Jacob!!!:
YouTube: Jacob Miller
Facebook: Jacob Miller | Facebook
Instagram: jacobmiller12 on Instagram
Hello, people of the internet!!! On today’s YouTube Wednesday’, we are going to talk about an amazing new band that I am so excited to share with y’all! This U.K. band has been making a splash ever since its conception in 2009 and has shared the stage with a wide variety of successful and well-acclaimed bands. Their songs will have you dancing, crying, and constantly wanting more. It’s just like those YouTube videos you used to watch over here on this page which kept you entertained for hours on end! Ever since I first heard this band’s music (when they followed me on Twitter…once again thank you Twitter!), I have been absolutely addicted, and now I can’t imagine not constantly listening to this band’s music. Who is this amazing band you may ask? I’m glad you asked. This band is none other than the incredible talented ‘Reachback’. Reachback consists of Ruby Williams as the lead vocalist, Tom McHenry on guitar, Joe Williams on bass, and Craig Chin on drums. Together these four extremely talented musicians make up a band that I believe will have a great and lasting impression on the Pop/Rock music scene very soon. So if you haven’t heard of ‘Reachback’, read on!
Reachback was founded in 2009, and after two years of hard work released their first single off of their debut EP to ‘Absolute Radio’ (one of the 3 National independent Internet radio stations in the U.K. After the release of this single, Reachback was able to perform with famous and well-acclaimed acts such as McFly, Scouting For Girls, Mayday Parade, and Forever The Sickest Kids, just to name a few. After Reachback released its two next singles, they were given the distinction of being named ‘Unsigned Band of the Week’ by Sarah Champion of ‘Absolute Radio’, and caught the attention of Radio 1 (a large British radio station) and Kerrang! Magazine. Also, in September of 2011, the band was given the opportunity by MTV and Extreme of performing two of their songs acoustically at ‘Abby Road Studios’. In 2012, Reachback was nominated for 3 ‘Artist in Music Award’ nominations, a spot on the McFly ‘Keep Calm and Play Louder’ tour, the premiere of their music video for ‘No One Else’ on Kerrang! (a big online rock magazine) and MTV showcases at MTV and Extreme Music headquarters, a slot on the ‘Red Bull Bedroom Jam Tour’, participating in some of the biggest music festivals in the U.K., participation in a celebrity football (soccer for Americans) tournament, and a performance at the ‘BT London Live Hyde Park Festival’ during the 2012 Olympics (wow I got tired just writing that, I can’t imagine how tired they were living it!). In 2013, Reachback spent the first half of the year touring the U.K and recording their new album (which is set to be released through Spectra Records in 2014!). So now that you know enough about the band to win a trivia contest, let’s get to the music!!!
One cover that Reachback has performed that I really loved was their rendition of ‘Best Song Ever’ by One Direction Best Song Ever – One Direction (Reachback Cover). What I loved most about this version, was that it was less of a “cover’, and more of an individual take on the original song. Reachback’s version has more Pop/Soul influences, which makes this version pleasing to the ears in a different way. Honestly I find myself replaying this version over and over again without growing tired. When I saw that Reachback did a cover of ‘Free Fallin’ by Tom Petty Free Fallin – John Mayer/Tom Petty (Reachback Cover) (and was more recently made popular again by John Mayer), I was extremely intrigued. ‘Free Fallin’ is a very difficult song to cover, because the emotion and notes have to be exactly on point in order to have the impact that is expected of this song. Once I heard Reachback’s version, the only thing that surprised me was that I was surprised by how well they did with it. At this point it shouldn’t surprise me that this band is able to take such a classic song and breathe new life into it. Fans of the original version will certainly not be disappointed. Now this next cover is actually the first cover that I heard from Reachback, however I saved it for last because it’s my favorite. The finial cover that I’m going to discuss is Reachback’s rendition of ‘Cry Me A River’ &’Mirrors’ by the PHENOMINAL Justin Timberlake Justin Timberlake – Cry Me A River & Mirrors (Reachback Cover) . Covering a Justin Timberlake song is certainly not an easy task to pull off, because he is such an amazing vocalist, however I am OBESSED with Reachback’s version of these two JT hits. I love that Reachback infuses its own unique style of Pop/Rock/Soul to make this rendition distinctly different than any other cove you’ll hear. I honestly feel like I could go on and on about how much I love Reachback’s covers, I am just so addicted to them.
However, although Reachback has released some INCREDIBLE covers, they have also released original music that is amazing. On September 22nd, 2011 Reachback released its’ debut single entitled ‘Butterflies’ Butterflies – Reachback, as part of their ‘Wake Up – EP‘. This Pop/Rock track tells the story of unrequited love in such a way, that will make you dance a little bit as you cry into that tub of ice cream (we all do that…right? O..K…moving on.). This track will certainly resonant with Paramore fans, due to this song’s style which is reminiscent of early-Paramore. Reachback released their third single on September 23rd, 2011, in the form of a track called ‘Without You’ Without You – Reachback . ‘Without You’ is a track about lost love, and the feelings of isolation and disbelief that follow a breakup. I really love how this song contains very meaningful and deep lyrics, but delivers the message is an “upbeat” way. The fact that this song is not a slow ballad, makes ‘Without You’ unique and memorable. Reachback released their first official music video to accompany their next single ‘No One Else’ on April 9th, 2012 REACHBACK – No One Else (OFFICIAL VIDEO) (up until this point, all of the singles had only had a photo of the band, and were not actual music videos). ‘No One Else’ is a song about a girl loving one guy so intensely, that no one else could ever take that guy’s place. These feelings become so intense, that the girl in the song still only loves that one particular guy, even after he is gone. I love how powerfully the message of the song is delivered, and the passion that is behind the lead vocalists’ (Ruby Williams) voice. I would definitely suggest that you purchase this song, and the rest of the band’s EP because it WILL have you singing along to every track before you know it.
Well I think that you can infer form this blog post that I am seriously obsessed with this Reachback…and trust me after listening to one of their covers or original songs you will be too. I can see why this band has already made such an impact in the U.K., and I know that it’s only a matter of time before they become a global sensation. I am very excited about what the future holds for Reachback, and I urge you all too go along with them for the ride!
Keep in touch with Reachback!!!:
YouTube: Reachback YouTube
Facebook: Reachback Facebook
Website: Reachback Band