Hey people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘Monday Memos’, we are going to discuss a movie franchise that is near and dear to all of our hearts. These movies were not only entertaining (COMPLETELY addicting), but taught us all numerous life lessons about friendship, love, family, and why dragons and giants are actually really cool friends to have (you know…just the typical life lessons everyone learns as they grow up). If you haven’t already guessed, we’re taking about the extremely successful ‘Harry Potter’ series. So if you waited by your mailbox for your Hogwarts acceptance letter (or if you’re still waiting…I know it’s coming, seriously it just got lost in the mail), then please read on and join me in discussing ‘The 10 Life Lessons We Learned from Harry Potter’.
10) Don’t wait 6 years to tell someone you have a crush on them (c’mon that’s too long…yes I’m looking at you Ron and Hermione).
9) It takes more than just blood to make a family (unless you’re the Weasleys and already have more family than you can handle).
8) Don’t believe rumors (if Harry had he would have never been friends with the Weasleys or gotten close to Sirius Black).
7) In life if you want something, go after it (Harry wanted to be in the ‘Gryffindor House’ so that’s where he was place. In other words Harry is a boss!).
6) Guys with beards can be very cool (I mean look at the facts…Dumbledore had a beard and he was cool, Hagrid had a beard and he was cool, Voldemort didn’t have a beard and thus was not cool).
5) If your friends risk their lives for you 6 years in a row, you can probably safely assume that you’ll be BFFs forever…or at least 5 more years.
4) Love is the most important thing in life (I mean Dumbledore kept going on about it in just about every movie, and remember he has a beard which makes him cool, and thus trustworthy right? ).
3) Pick your friends very carefully (I mean what would’ve happened if Harry had chosen to be friends with Malfoy instead of Ron during their first year at Hogwarts…I know your mind was just blown wasn’t it).
2) Don’t take life to seriously (I mean look at Fred and George, didn’t they always seem like they were having the most fun!?!).
1) Embrace what makes you “weird” (like the fact that you’re secretly a wizard who has to stay on the run from an evil wizard who’s trying to kill you even though you’re just a child…I mean that’s just an example).
So you see, Harry Potter wasn’t just a film series that we all watched waaayyyy to much, it unraveled the many mysteries of life. So, the next time someone gives you a hard time for replaying the whole series 1 too many times, just say that you’re learning about life. And really isn’t learning about life the most important thing? I don’t know if that will work with your teachers/professors/employers but it’s worth a shot.
Hello people of the internet, please allow me for a moment to paint a picture for you. A 16 year old girl receives news one summer from her doctor that she has mono, so she must begin bed rest. Now usually teenagers spend the summer time hanging out with friends, going on trips, swimming, etc.. So what can a 16 year old do during the summer for fun if she’s stuck at home? Well if you ask the girl behind the extremely popular YouTube channel ‘meghanrosette’, you start a career launching YouTube channel.
Meghan Rienks, (whose last name isn’t actually Rosette, the name was created because Meghan’s middle name is Rose) was born on August 4th, 1993 in a city near San Francisco, CA. Meghan has said that she was a “dramatic” child, and officially caught the acting bug after a 3rd grade production of ‘The Wiz’ (where Meghan played a munchkin…o.k. everyone say it with me…awwwww…I’m mean seriously a 3rd grader playing a munchkin, that is just too cute!). Meghan then began taking acting, voice, and dance classes in order to further explore her love of performing. She began experimenting with makeup in the middle school, and continued acting.. Once Meghan entered High School, she soon began performing in numerous school plays. However, Meghan’s most important high school activity would occur the summer before her senior year, when Meghan contracted mono from sharing a soda can with her friend. Although most people would hide in their room and cry over this, Meghan took the advice of her mother, and began a YouTube channel. So, on June 16th, 2010 the channel ‘meghanrosette’ was born, and Meghan’s life was forever changed (Here’s Meghan’s 1st video where she does a fashion haul with one of her friends: Haul with dancer4life34! – YouTube).
On the surface, Meghan’s channel seems like that of any other young guru however, once you watch just a few minutes of any of her 412 videos, you can see that this girl is anything but ordinary. Meghan is not openly knowledgeable about fashion trends, beauty secrets, and everyday life issues, but she also has a charisma and ease on camera that instantly draws you in. She is also extremely witty and goofy, which makes her very relatable, and only adds to her overall charm. I first discovered Meghan a few months ago when I saw her on an episode of the hit show IMO (which stands for In My Opinion), on the super popular AwesomnessTV YouTube channel. On IMO, Meghan is on a rotating panel, where the panelists discuss a wide variety such as; fashion trends, celebrities, relationship/friendship issues, etc. (basically it’s a teen/young adult version of ‘The View’). When I first saw Meghan on IMO, I instantly found her very interesting and funny, and wanted to learn more about her.
After I watched a few of her videos, I could see why she (as of December 10th, 2013) has 535,602 subscribers on her channel. Meghan is not only adored by her large fan base, but has also grabbed the attention of many important fashion and beauty publications. She has been featured in magazines such as Teen Vogue and Seventeen. Meghan has also interviewed celebrities and has done red carpet coverage for Seventeen magazine (here’s a video of Meghan interviewing Ashley Rickards, the star of MTV’s popular show ‘Awkward’: My First Time Tag with Ashley Rickards – YouTube). Along with working on her growing YouTube career, Meghan has also continued acting, and was recently on the hit AwesomnessTV show. She also stars on the YouTube show ‘The Goreys’, as Abigail Gorey (here’s a link to the first episode: Hello Dr. Jacobs – Episode 1 – YouTube). Because of all of these amazing accomplishments that she’s had in such a short time span, I would definitely recommend that EVERYONE keep an eye on Meghan, she will definitely be a huge star soon.
Another reason why I highly recommend Meghan’s channel, is because she is very open and honest with her fans. In her ‘Draw My Life’ video (here’s the link to that video:Draw My Life | MeghanRosette – YouTube), Meghan admitted to having insecurity issues in middle school due to her appearance, and also stated that her elementary school friends shunned her because they were popular and she was not. Meghan has also spoken about the bullying she received from her two best friends in college. She admits that she became anxious, OCD, and suffered a great depression because of what occurred between her and these friends. Although Meghan says that she is in a better mental state now, I think that it was very brave that she decided to reveal some of the struggles she has faced. Her story is truly inspiring, and proves that you can do whatever you set your mind too as long as you follow your dreams and ignore any haters. I think Taylor Swift said it best in her song ‘Ours’, when she states, “People throw rocks at things that shine…”. Due to her bubbly personality, natural charisma, and wit, I certainly see a bright future ahead for Meghan in vlogging and acting. Keep on shinning girl!