Hey people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘YouTube Wednesday’ blog post, we are going to talk about rising YouTube music superstar Mackenzie Johnson. Mackenzie is a 21 year old singer/songwriter from Philadelphia, PA that you will become OBSESSED with. She is not only a talented vocalist and guitarist, but also has the unique ability to make you fall in love with her music instantly. I have honestly spent the last few days listening to all of her covers and original music on repeat, and am so excited to share her channel with y’all. So please read on to discover your new favorite artist!
The first cover that we’re going to talk about is Mackenzie’s rendition of Skyscraper by Demi Lovato, which was uploaded on August 14th, 2011 (here’s the link Skyscraper – Demi Lovato Cover). I really love that this was one of Mackenzie’s first covers, because it really showed off her talent, showmanship, and level of artistry. Through this cover we got to learn that Mackenzie has an INCREDIBLE voice and can sing live while accompanying herself on the guitar. It’s hard enough to sing as well as Mackenzie does, and then when you add in the fact that she has to divide her mind between her voice and the guitar, it’s just becomes crazy that one person can be so talented. Another thing that I find important for musicians, who post covers on YouTube, is that they need to be able to find the right balance between not copying the original artist 100%, and maintaining what fans love about the original version of the song. Mackenzie is able to make her covers unique, and her natural ability to keep your attention throughout the song, proves that she has the ability to be a competitive artist in the music industry. The next cover that we’re going to talk about is Mackenzie’s cover of TLC’s hit song No Scrubs (here’s the link: No Scrubs – TLC Cover), which was uploaded on November 22nd, 2013. I really loved that she did a cover of this song, because it was a fun change from some of the other covers that she had uploaded at that point. I think that this cover really shows another layer of Mackenzie’s artistry, and proves that she can sing just about anything. I also loved that we got to really see her skills as a rapper in a song that is not easy for one person to cover. If you think about it, TLC was made up of 3 incredibly talented women who each used their individual skills to make magic, so it’s really awesome to see 1 person take on all 3 parts and do really well. I just fell completely in love with this cover. The final cover that we’re going to discuss is Mackenzie’s rendition of Fallin’ by Alicia Keys (here’s the link: Fallin’ – Alicia Keys Cover), which was uploaded on January 12th, 2015. This has to be one of my favorite covers that Mackenzie has done (which is saying a lot because I am ADDICTED to her channel). I really love that we’re able to truly see the just how well Mackenzie is able to control her pitch and still slay those big notes that have made this song a fan favorite. This is a very unforgiving song that not everyone can cover, so I was seriously impressed when I heard this cover. This was the first video that I saw on Mackenzie’s channel, and it instantly drew me in and made me want to hear more from her. I promise that once you heard this cover, you will not be able to turn away.
The first original song that Mackenzie uploaded on YouTube was entitled The Way We Love, and was uploaded on October 24th, 2011. Mackenzie says in the beginning of the video that this song is about a cute relationship that her friend was in. I love this song because it’s so sweet and has a very classic Taylor Swift vibe to it. This song honestly makes you feel like you’re in a Nicholas Sparks movie, and is just so amazing you will find yourself listening to it every day. I thought that this was a very good choice as Mackenzie’s debut original song in YouTube. It is also the perfect song for right now since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. The other Mackenzie original that we’re going to talk about is her song What I Want, which was uploaded on December 1st, 2014. This song has a really cool Jason Mraz meets Ed Sheeran feel to it that would definitely be a radio favorite. I also love that this song tells a really awesome story about a person who has been torn down by others so much that the person has always felt like they shouldn’t follow their dreams, but is now realizing that life is too short for fear. This is definitely a song that I think we can all relate to.
Keep up with everything Mackenzie is doing:
YouTube: Mackenzie Johnson
Instagram: Mackenzie Johnson (@mackenziemusic)
Hello people of the internet!!! Today, we will talk about the heart shaped elephant in the room…Valentine’s Day (cue suspenseful music). Maybe you’re single this Valentine’s Day and are bitter about it…or maybe you’re single and don’t care, either way this is the blog for you! So grab some popcorn, turn up those Taylor Swift songs, and chill out with the ‘Top ten reasons why it’s better if you DON’T have a Valentine this year!!!’
10) You can sit around in your PJs all day and watch romantic comedies/ Nicholas Sparks movies…who wouldn’t want Ryan Gosling or Channing Tatum as their honorary boyfriend?
9) You can make your mom or dad your Valentine and then casually suggest visiting your favorite store or mall (hello presents!!!)
8) Being single on Valentine’s Day is like the first day of a New Year, calories don’t count so you can eat whatever you want without repercussions (that is the rule right!?!)
7) You can get some of your BFFs together and talk about how much guys suck while you listen to Taylor Swift songs (sing it with me…”we. are never ever getting back together…”).
6) If you’re feeling more positive, you and your BFFs can have a dance party in your room while listening to your favorite boy band (or man and for our Backstreet Boys fans).
5) You can blog/vlog!!! (C’mon all the cool kids are doing it!)
4) You can walk around the mall in a onesie( oh you know you’ve ways wanted too…o.k, guess that’s just me then…awkward…)
3) You can use your detective skills and figure out who ‘A’ is on ‘Pretty Little liars’ (c’mon you know that this is seriously the biggest mystery of our time, just don’t watch the show in the dark…trust me on that one).
2) You can paint a bullseye with a picture of a jerky person in the middle. Yes throwing darts at the face of a person may seem a little aggressive, but painting is relaxing so it evens out right?
1) You can have a Harry Potter movie marathon…now if he can survive fighting a creepy faced guy for 8 movies, you can survive flying solo on the “day of love”.
· All photos and information used in this blog belong to guysvsgurlz.com, 123rf.com, hungryandmad.com, curquedelatelier.blogspot.com, idolator.com,teleread.com, powerfm.au.com, who-is-A-tumblr.com, theaprilblake.com, navikan.tumblr.com, scissorsandspice.com, naileditnz.com, Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, Taylor Swift, Big Machine Records, Simon Cowell, Liam Tomlison, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, Nial Horan, Zayn Malik, Max Martin, Karl Johan Shellback, Syco Records, Nick Carter, AJ McLean, Brian Littrell, huffington.com, Howie Dorough, Kevin Richardson, Jive Records, Nintendo, Satoshi Tajiri, Lucy Hale, Ashley Benson, Shay Mitchell, Troian Bellisario, ABC Family, . Marlene King, Sara Shepard, Disney Channel, Dan Povenmire, J.K. Rowling, Heyday FIlms, 1492 Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, memegenberator.net, ebay.com, and all other original owners. I do not own anything in this blog. All opinions expressed in this blog are my own. I wrote this blog for entertainment purposes and no copyright infringement is intended.