Hello people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘Monday Memos’ we are going to talk about the 2015 Grammy Awards (btw we guessed half of the winners correctly this year, yay!). This year the award show was full of unique performances, surprises, and of course, awesome awards. It was truly a night dedicated to music, and all that it represented this past year. The show was once again hosted by rapper/actor LL Cool J, who stated at the top of the show that he wasn’t going to perform an opening monologue so that there would be more time for the music. I thought that it was a really memorable show, and will definitely have us all discussing it the rest of the year. If you missed the show, or just want to relive all the moments again, then please read on as we recap the 2015 Grammy Awards!
Here are the categories we guessed correctly this year:
*If you want to see the full list of Grammy Award winners then please go to GRAMMY.com | The Official Site of Music’s Biggest Night
Now there were a lot of awesome performances this year, but I decided to pick the top 10 must-see performances to discuss with y’all.
10) Eric Church: Eric performed his hit single ‘Give Me Back My Hometown’, which is a fun song that brings out the nostalgia in us all. As always, Eric captivated his audience and never lost their attention. The backdrop of the stage had scenes of a town in a Sepia effect, which just added an air of coolness to the number.
9) Ariana Grande: One number that was really interesting was Ariana Grande’s emotional performance of her song ‘Just a Little Bit of Your Heart’. The emotional ballad had a very intimate vibe that definitely captivated fans. The staging consisted of really dim lighting, purple stage lights, and really cool white smoke that appeared half way through the performance.
8) Pharrell Williams: Pharrell began his number with a spoken word performance of the beginning of his hit song ‘Happy’. The number then changed back to the original arrangement, and included dancers in bright colored clothing & choir robes. Towards the end of the number, the attention shifted over to the small stage in the center of the auditorium, where Hans Zimmermann was showing off his out of this world piano skills. Definitely a number we’d all be happy to see again.
7) Ed Sheeran feat. John Mayer & Questlove/Ed Sheeran & ELO: Ed performed a sweet rendition of his new single ‘Thinking Out Loud’, and was accompanied by John Mayer’s EPIC guitar playing, and Questlove (the drummer of the band The Roots, who are Jimmy Fallon’s house band) on the drums. This was such an awesome pairing that I know we all have our fingers crossed for these artists to collab again soon. After ‘Thinking Out Loud’, Ed switched over to another stage and performed ‘Mr. Blue Sky’ with British rock group, Electric Light Orchestra (aka ELO). This was another unexpected, yet really awesome collab that left us wondering who Ed will work with next (because obviously he can work with anyone and it will sound awesome).
6) Miranda Lambert: Miranda performed her song ‘Little Red Wagon’, and definitely showed that country music can rock. She was in full rock star mode, with a performance that included lots of cool smoke and explosion effects, an interesting red sun decoration in the background, and lots of flashing red lights that definitely raised the energy of the room to full blast.
5) Hosier & Anne Lennox: Hosier started the performance with their hit single ‘Take Me To Church’ & was later joined by Anne Lennox, who also performed her rendition of ‘I Put A Spell on You’ (which was originally by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins). This was another high energy performance that had the audience captivated throughout the number…what can we say, they put a spell on us!
4) Katy Perry: Katy performed a truly angelic rendition of her song ‘By The Grace of God’, complete with a beautiful white gown. The performance followed a PSA by President Barack Obama, and a speech by domestic abuse survivor Brooke Axtell (the PSA and speech were in support of a new program called #ItsOnUs, which is an initiative to end violence against women & girls). This was truly a strong way to deliver this powerful message.
3) Paul McCartney, Rihanna, & Kanye West: The legendary Beatle joined Pop star Rihanna, & Rap star Kanye West for a performance of the trio’s song ‘Four Five Seconds’. This was such an amazing number, that really brought out the true talent of all three artists, and showed the magic that can happen when artists of different genres come together to create something spectacular.
2) Sam Smith & Mary J. Blige: Sam & Mary J. Blige left the room completely speechless with their duet of Sam’s hit song ‘Stay With Me’. The two artists used their amazing vocal talents to deliver a breathtaking performance that was one of the highlights of the night. What made this performance extra cool was the old school soul flair that the artists added to the overall vibe of the show; it definitely left us hoping that they will work together again in the future.
1) Sia feat. Maddie Ziegler & Kristen Wiig: The top spot of the night has to go to Sia for her beautiful performance of her hit single Chandelier. The number took place in a destroyed, dirty room, and showed comedic actress Kristen Wiig & Dance Moms star Maddie Ziegler performing the choreography from the song’s music video together. Although Sia & Kristen were INCREDIBLE, the star of the show was definitely Maddie. Seriously, she’s 12 years old and has already performed at the Grammys, how do you possibly top that!?! With such a HUGE start to 2015, I’m excited to see what this rising star does next.
Hey people of the internet!!! On today’s ‘YouTube Wednesday’ we are going to discuss an amazing musician whose unique sound will instantly grab your attention, and not let go. I found out about this artist after she followed me on Twitter (once again thank you twitter!!!), and I have to say that I have become completely addicted to her music. She has already made a powerful impact on the music scene, and will very soon be inescapable (and trust me when I say that you wouldn’t have it any other way). So now that you’re all excited, I guess you want me to tell you who I’m talking about right? Good, I’m glad you asked! I am talking about the amazing pop/rock/alternative singer/songwriter Victoria Watts. If for some crazy reason you don’t know who this amazing musician is, then be prepared to meet one of the fastest rising stars in music, and your favorite new artist.
Victoria Watts is a singer/songwriter who is originally from San Diego, CA, but currently resides in Philadelphia, PA. Victoria discovered her love of music at a very young age, and thus was able to perform all over the US and abroad before entering college. Upon entering college, she moved to the east coast to attend the Contemporary Music Center (which is an artist colony, where qualified applicants are invited and are able to work on their music skills such as: live performance, studio work, and songwriting). Later on, Victoria moved to Nashville, TN, and then finally to Philadelphia, PA. Currently she performs both as a solo artist, and as the front woman and multi-instrumentalist for the band Element K. Victoria has been featured on the read up stations, Radio 104.5 and WSTW 93.7, as well as appearing on countless podcasts and in numerous publications. Along with this, she has also topped the Philadelphia Pop charts on ‘Reverbnation’, and was also named one of ‘Rock on Philly’ Magazine’s finalists for artist of the year. On April 23rd, 2013 Victoria released her EP ‘Songs for the Sidewalk’ 9which I HIGHLY suggest that you purchase after you finish reading the bog post…or you know you can download it while you’re reading the blog too…yay for multitasking!). Now that you know all about Victoria, let’s dive into the music!
The first cover video that Victoria posted on her YouTube page was a cover of ‘The Dog Days are Over’ by Florence + the Machine on February 12th, 2013 (Victoria Watts performing “Dog Days are Over” on Radio 104.5 Philadelphia). I really love Victoria’s take on the track, because she slowed it down, and really allowed her vocals to take center stage. I could also really hear the rock influences in her vocals, which truly made her give off the vibe of a rock star. I also liked that the song did pick up towards the end, and which made that part reminiscent of the original. However, what I enjoyed most about this rendition was the fact that Victoria was able to put her own mark on the song, and make it sound like an original song. I really like that Victoria was able to find a happy medium between adding her own style to the song, and not straying too far from the originally vibe of the song that fans love. This cover truly showed that Victoria is not only a great musician and vocalist, but also a great artist. The next cover that we are going to discuss is Victoria’s cover of ‘Free Fallin’ by Tom Petty, which was uploaded on July 22nd, 2013 (Victoria Watts performing “Free Fallin” – YouTube). I am so in love with this cover I have honestly been listening to it nonstop! I really love how the originally feel of the song is still intact, but Victoria is able to use the unique tone of her voice to make the song sound completely new. ‘Free Fallin’ is definitely one of those songs that can be hard for an artist to cover because it is well known and loved by fans that span various generations and musical genres however, Victoria will quickly make anyone a fan of her rendition of the song. The last cover that we are going to discuss is Victoria’s cover of Torn’ by Natalie Imbruglia, which was uploaded on August 3rd, 2013 (Victoria Watts performs an acoustic cover of “Torn” – YouTube). This is definitely my favorite cover on Victoria’s channel, because her performance is not only vocally amazing, but further proves that she knows exactly who she is as an artist. The sound and vibe of the cover is very cohesive with the unique sound that Victoria has crafted for herself, and once again she is able to take a song that is well known and loved, and turn it into a song that sounds completely new and unique. I also loved that although Victoria was singing and playing the guitar live, she still moved around and gave a performance. In the video you can really see how passionate Victoria is about the song she is singing, and that, makes you want to watch her even more. Needless to say, I am VERY excited for everything that is ahead for Victoria, because her cover videos alone show that she is a talented, well-skilled musician, whose unique sound and passion instantly captivates viewers.
Now that we’ve discussed Victoria’s AMAZING YouTube covers, let’s move on to her original music (everybody say it with me…YAAAAYYYY!). The first song that we are going to discuss is Victoria’s official music video for her song ‘A Thousand Miles Between’ (which was uploaded on YouTube on December 13th, 2013 and can be found on her EP ‘Songs for the Sidewalk’ Victoria Watts- A Thousand Miles Between Official Music Video – YouTube). This song definitely has a very early Paramore meets early Flyleaf sound that will appeal to rock fans however, the song also has a certain something about it that automatically let’s you know that it is a Victoria original. I could definitely see this song getting radio airplay, and I really love that Victoria has been able to create a sound that her fans instantly recognize. Often times an artist can have a hard time initially discovering where they fit, but Victoria has been able to prove that her voice exceeds boundaries. The next original song that we’re going to discuss is Victoria’s song ‘Waiting on the Sun’ (the official music video for the song was released on YouTube on June 23rd, 2014 and can also be found on Victoria’s EP ‘Songs for the Sidewalk’ Victoria Watts- Waiting on the Sun (Official) – YouTube). I am absolutely in love with this song (yes I know that I say this a lot, but trust me, it is very true and you will soon agree too)! This song integrates more genres of music than ‘A Thousand Miles Between’ does, and gives off a very alternative rock meets jazz vibe. I really love that Victoria proves with this song, that although she might experiment with her sound, at the its’ core, all of her music has that same little stamp that let’s fans instantly know that it is a Victoria original. Sometimes when you hear an amazing artist covering songs on YouTube, their original music might leave you a bit let down. However, Victoria’s original music is just as good as her covers, if not better. I love that every performance that Victoria gives is heartfelt, and leaves you hanging on every note.
See, I told you that she was AMAZING! I am honestly so excited for everything that is ahead in Victoria’s career, because I feel that her unique sound and natural talent will definitely make her a standout act in the music industry. I always love to hear artists who are genuinely unique, and I truly feel that Victoria will create her own lane in the music industry, which will make her impossible to ignore. I also love that Victoria’s sound is so unique and diverse, that she will not be sorted into a little genre box, and as a result will appeal to a wider range of fans. I am definitely a fan of Victoria now, and I know that you will all be too once you hear how amazing she really is.
Click here to keep up to date with everything Victoria is doing!:
YouTube: Victoria Watts – YouTube
Facebook: Victoria Watts | Facebook